Prospector & Interlibrary Loan
If you need an item that is unavailable at UNC Libraries (checked out, lost, or something we don't own), give Prospector a try. From the web version of The Source, search for the desired item. If it isn't listed or is unavailable (e.g. checked out or missing), use the "Repeat Search in Prospector" option. You can also access Prospector directly.
- access to the contents of major Colorado academic and public libraries as well as the University of Wyoming;
- self-service: you process your own requests on line, and we get them for you;
- prompt service: most available items arrive 2-3 business days after you order them.
Note the following limitations:
- books: available from all participating libraries, as long as they're part of the owning library's circulating collection.
- scores: limited availability. UC-Boulder's score collection is not accessible to Prospector borrowing and few Prospector libraries have score collections.
- recordings: limited availability. Public library audio-visual collections tend to be accessible to Prospector borrowing; most academic library audio-visual collections are not accessible.
- periodicals: Pre-1980 journal volumes in remote storage (the "Pascal Offsite" location) are available on limited loan terms (1-week loan, nonrenewable).
To request an item, use the "Request this item option." If the item is available, you'll be prompted to identify yourself as a UNC patron; then you'll enter your name and Bear number. The database will then verify you as a UNC patron, and send the item to the UNC library of your choice.
When your Prospector items arrive, e-mail will be sent to your UNC e-mail account. The notification will also display on your library account as items on hold for you.
If Prospector can't provide the items you need, try Interlibrary Loan. This is a cooperative project involving libraries all over the USA and abroad. ILL offers:
- access to most of the contents of hundreds of American and foreign libraries;
- relatively slow service: successfully filled requests arrive in 7 days - 2 months;
- comprehensive service: all kinds of material are available (but note that most libraries don't send out recordings)
To make a request, UNC students/faculty/staff can file online requests using webZAP
When your items arrive, e-mail will be sent to your UNC campus e-mail account if you have one. They will also display on your library account as items on hold for you.