Archives

ARCHIVES HOURS

All Hours, Contact Information

 

University History: Buildings and Grounds

Chronology

 

1890

Normal School Building cornerstone laid June 13 (1890-1972).  After 1906, building known as Administration Building (Pierce p.165).  Renamed Cranford Hall in 1931.  Razed in 1972.

1891

Normal School Building east wing completed April 13 (Pierce p.165).

1895

Normal School Building center  completed (Pierce p.165).

1897

Training School library established ( Crucible v.4 #10 [June 9, 1896] 29-30 ).

1901

First heating plant completed.  Razed in 1933 (RG SC27 photo. Pierce p.165).

1902

Pillars at 9th Avenue and 17th Street class gift of 1902 (Carter p.387).

1903

Normal School Building west wing completed November 11 (Pierce p.165, Larson p.61).

1903

Gymnasium in basement of west wing of Normal School Building (Larson, p.61).

1904

First presidential home completed.  Became Music Conservatory in 1924. Razed in 1954.

1907

First library completed. Renamed Carter Hall in 1944.

1908

Greenhouse built.  Razed in 1936.

1909

Stables built south of Library.

1910

Training School cornerstone laid August 22.

1910

Guggenheim Hall cornerstone laid September 24.

1910

Gateway at 10th Avenue and 18th Street gift of class of 1910 (Carter p.387).

1910

Cranford and the Library had telephones installed (Larson p.63).

1911

Cranford updated with first indoor toilet (Larson p.63).

1911

Formal reflecting pool north of Library gift of the class of 1911 (Carter p.387).

1912

Training School center section of building completed (Pierce p.165).

1912

Gateway at 8th Avenue and 17th Street gift of class of 1912 (Carter p.387).

1912

Guggenheim Hall completed (Carter p.81).

1913

Women's Club House construction began.

1914

Pioneer Statue north of the Library reflecting pool gift of class of 1914 (Carter p.387).

1914

Totem Teddy arrived on campus. Andrew Thompson, a 1897 graduate of the Normal School and U.S. Commissioner of Education for Alaska, gave the totem pole to UNC in 1914. Repatriated in October 2003.

1914

Home Economics Building cornerstone laid (Pierce p.165).

1915

Home Economics practice cottage constructed (Carter p.84). Later renamed Roudebush Cottage.

1916

Women's Club House dedicated March 22. Remodeled and renamed the Student Union in 1939. Renamed Gray Hall in 1965.

1918

SATC Gymnasium (also known as "Temporary Gym," "Cow Barn," "Green Barn"). Razed in 1927.

1919

Home Economics Building completed in October. Renamed Crabbe Hall in 1931 (Pierce p.165).

1921

Belford Residence Hall completed.

1921

Gordon Residence Hall completed.

1921

Decker Residence Hall completed.

1922

Training School west wing erected (RG2 S1 F8 Bk. 8).

1923

Training School east wing erected (RG2 S1 F8 Bk. 8).

1924

First presidential home became Music Conservatory.

1925

KFKA (100 W. station) established to broadcast on the 3rd floor of Cranford.  Broadcast supervised by Physics Department (Hartman p.124).

1926

Gunter construction began with cornerstone, September 28, 1926 (Pierce p.165).

1926

KFKA moved to Music Conservatory.  Music Department responsible for many broadcasts.  (Hartman p.121).

1927

Jackson Field dedicated (5,200 capacity).

1928

Gunter completed--balcony seated 1,100 people. Dedicated January 35.

1928

Second presidential home at 1862 10th Avenue.

1930?-1939   

Two radio towers E of Gunter ( Cache la Poudre 1936 p.61) removed by 1939 when Gray remodeled.

1930

Faculty Apartment #1: "The Faculty Club" completed (W).

1931

Administration Building renamed Cranford Hall on October 22 (BOT).

1931

Home Economics Building renamed Crabbe Hall, October 22 (Pierce p.165).

1931

Training School renamed Kepner Hall (BOT 10/22/1931).

1931

Hadden Residence Hall completed.

1931

#2 men's residence hall on east campus completed. Named Hays Residence Hall on October 22.

1933

Men's residence hall on east campus was named Hadden Hall on February 7 by the Board of Trustees.

1933

Second Heating Plant completed (N of Faculty Apts. & SE of Gunter).

1933

Driveway north of Gunter running from 8th to 10th Avenue closed on June 9 (BOT).

1936

Sabin Residence Hall dedicated June 13 (RG15 S15 F1).

1936

Snyder Residence Hall dedicated June 13 (RG15 S15 F1).

1936

Tobey-Kendel Residence Hall dedicated June 13 (RG15 S15 F1).

1936

Faculty Apartment (Unit #2) (mid-W).

1936

Greenhouse dismantled and sold (BOT 4/9/1936).

1937

Gunter has Celotex sound conditioned ceiling installed (Building Survey, RG15 S17).

1938

Women's Club House remodeling started. Renamed Student Union in 1939.

1939

Student Union remodeling completed .  Renamed Gray Hall in 1965.

1939

Library remodel and renovation (Pierce p.165).

1940

Faculty Apartment (Unit #3) completed (mid-E).

1940

Garden Theater dedicated June 14 (RG15 S15 F1).

1940

Remodeled library dedicated June 28.

1940

Leo Florio flagpole erected.

1940

Tops of deciduous trees around Carter and Cranford severely trimmed. See photos Cranford--Aerial & Carter--Remodel.

1940

Bridge NW of Gray erected as class gift ("Hi Bridge").

1941

Gunter additional locker rooms installed in basement.

1942

Drinking fountain, Outdoor (Gunter, Garden Theater) class gift.

1944

Library renamed Carter Hall (Pierce p.165).

1947

Cross Residence Hall completed.

1947

Faculty Apartment (Unit #4) completed (E).

1948

Jackson Field renovated reducing seating capacity to 4,000 (Pierce LB1840 G747 1988 P54).

1948

Gunter original chimes replaced with second set ( Mirror 10/14/1987).

1949

Cranford fire.

1951

Frasier Hall groundbreaking. November 19.

1953

Frasier Hall completed in December.

1954

Frasier Hall dedicated January 1.

1954

Frasier theater dedicated January 14, 15 & 16 with performance of "Point of No Return".

1954

Benches between Frasier and Cranford gift of the class of 1954.

1954

Conservatory of Music razed (Pierce p.165).

1955

Lily pond in front of Snyder vandalized ( Mirror May 13). It was subsequently removed.

1957

Gunter Hall balcony in men's gym removed. Folding bleachers installed.

1957

Wiebking Residence Hall dedicated June 1957.

1957

Wilson Residence Hall completed.

1957

Tobey Kendel addition (Pierce p.166).

1958

Parsons Hall completed.

1960

Troxel Residence Hall dedicated in October.

1961

Gunter Hall hardwood floors replaced in men's and women's gyms.

1962

Bishop-Lehr Hall (Laboratory School) dedicated May 13.

1963

Boiler house converted to Arts Annex (Pierce p.167).

1963

McCowen Residence Hall dedicated (fall).

1964

Ross Hall of Science completed.

1965

Student Union renamed Gray Hall.

1965

College Center completed. Renamed University Center in 1970.

1965

Ross Hall dedicated August 1.

1966

Harrison Residence Hall dedicated November 6.

1967

Student Family Apartments completed.

1968

McKee Hall of Education completed.

1968

Turner Residence Hall completed.

1969

McKee Hall dedicated March 27 (RG15 S15 F1).

1970  

College name changed to UNC.

1970

College Center renamed University Center.

1970

University Library (Michener) fire.

1971

University Library completed.

1972

University Library dedicated on October 27. Renamed Michener Library in 1973.

1972

Cranford demolished June 12-15 (1890-1972).

1973

Candelaria construction began.

1973

Candelaria Hall completed.

1973

University Library renamed the James A. Michener Library.

1973

Lawrenson Residence Hall dedicated May 10 (RG15 S15 F1).

1973

Mariani Gallery in Guggenheim dedicated  October 14.

1973

Butler-Hancock construction began.

1974

Butler-Hancock Hall completed.

1974

Lindou Auditorium in Michener Library dedicated August 4.

1975

Butler-Hancock dedicated February 4.

1976

Foundation Hall dedicated March 13.

1979

Kepner--outside of building cleaned and sealed ( Campus 4/10/1981).

1981

Carter Hall undergoes major renovation (Pierce p.168).

1981

Gunter--outside of building cleaned and sealed ( Campus 4/10/1981).

1982

Butler-Hancock storage room addition(s) (Pierce p.169).

1985

Gunter's bells stopped ringing ( Mirror 10/14/1987).

1985

Cross, Hadden, Hays and Troxel no longer used as dorms (Pierce, Morris. LB1840 G747 1988 P54 p.137).

1986

Frasier Theater renamed Langworthy Theater.

1986

Kepner Hall undergoes major internal renovation (Pierce p.165).

1987

Kepner Hall renovation completed.

1987

Gunter received fourth set of new bells ( Mirror 10/14/1987).

1988

Laboratory wing added to Ross Hall (Pierce p.168).

1988

University Center added atrium and internal remodel of ground level.

1988

Cogeneration Plant constructed.

1989

Lawrenson Hall rededicated October 5.

1990

Cranford Park dedicated on June 13.

1990

Leo Florio Flagpole rededicated October 13.

1991

Ross Laboratory wing dedicated March 26.

1993

Michener Library recarpeted.

1993

Frasier--Music Technology Center wing added.

1994

Michener Archives, room L119, completed.

1995

Frasier remodeled to connect 2nd floor wings.

1995

Recreation Center added to Butler-Hancock.

1995-96   

Gunter Hall--major remodeling/renovation. Rededicated September 20, 1996.

1996

Nottingham Field completed.

1996

Norton Theatre dedicated in Gray Hall February 24, 1996.

1997

Music Library dedicated October 17. Named Skinner Music Library 2005.

1999

Hansen-Willis Hall dedicated October 22.

1999

Scott-Wilcoxen Hall dedicated October 22.

1999

Cassidy Hall completed.

1999

President's Residence converted and renamed Visitors Center.

2000

Ross Hall renovation started.

2002

Garden Theatre E wall removed when Summer Concert Series cancelled.

2002

Arlington Park Apartments completed August 2002.

2003

West Campus Dining Facility construction began August 2003.

2003

Totem Teddy returned to the Tlingit Indians, Angoon, Alaska. October 2003.

2004

Archives remodel completed and reopened October 6.

2005

West Campus Dining Facility officially opened on January 8.

2005

Archives open house held on January 21 to celebrate the renovation of Archival Services.

2005

Skinner Music Library (former Music Library) named on May 6.

2005

Presidents Row (Bond Hall, Brown Hall, Dickeson Hall, Lujan Hall), 19th Street and 9th Avenue, dedicated October 1. Previously named Faculty Apartments.

2008

McCowen Hall demolished. McCowen Hall, dedicated in 1963, was named after Annie Margaret McCowen, Professor of Elementary Education, 1921-1958. Archives has excerpts from Professor McCowen's diaries in Special Collection 63.

2008

New West Campus Residence Hall-South opened in Fall 2008.

2009

New West Campus Residence Hall-North opened in Fall 2009.

2011

Hadden Hall (1931), Hays Hall (1931), Cross Hall (1947), and Troxel Hall (1960), all built in the Modified Pueblo style, were demolished. The east campus, located west of 6th Avenue and north of 20th Street, was originally the home of the men's dormitories. They were located north across the street from the baseball field at Jackson Field. The dormitories became unpopular due to the University's expansion onto the West Campus and to declining enrollment. The dormitories were closed in 1982 and leased to The Villa in 1984 and were remodeled to house 180 senior citizens (Hays, Hadden and Troxel Halls), and a home for non-violent, minimum-risk offenders (Cross Hall). They were sold to The Villa in September 1993 as they "were not adequate for the university's housing needs and did not fit in with the university's master facility plan for future developments." They were later sold to other corporations and demolished in 2011.

Hadden Hall was named for Samuel M. Hadden, who held a number of positions at the University of Northern Colorado from 1900-1934, including Sub. Professor of Manual Training and Drawing, Teacher of Sloyd, Pattern Maker, Dean of Practical Arts; Professor of Industrial Arts, Head of Division; and Professor of Industrial Arts, Head of Department. Samuel M. Hadden graduated from UNC in 1897.
Source: University of Northern Colorado Faculty Roster 1889-1983. 1983. Revised 1998. (RG13 S1 F4).

Hays Hall was named for James H. Hays who Jserved as interim president in 1891 after the term of Thomas Gray and before the term of Zachariah Xenophon Snyder. After the death of Dr. Snyder, Hays was appointed interim president once again, serving from November 11, 1915 through the 1916 summer session.
Source: University Records, Presidents James H. Hays, Interim President, 1891, 1915-16: http://library.unco.edu/archives/arc_rg02s01A.htm

Cross Hall was named for Ethan Allen Cross, Professor of English Emeritus, who held several positions at the University of Northern from 1904 until his retirment in 1957, including Head of Department of Literature and Language, Professor of Literature and English, Acting Dean of the College, Dean of the College, Head of Division of Literature and Language and Chair of the Division of Literature and Language. He was Professor of English Emeritus.
Source: University of Northern Colorado Faculty Roster 1889-1983. 1983. Revised 1998. (RG13 S1 F4).

Troxel Hall was named for Dr. O. Leonard. Troxel, who held a number of positions at the University of Northern Colorado from 1930 until his retirement in 1958: Professor of Education, Chairman of the Division of Health and Physical Education, Director of Public Relations, and Professor of Education Emeritus.
Source: University of Northern Colorado Faculty Roster 1889-1983. 1983. Revised 1998. (RG13 S1 F4).

see also: Buildings

Looking for dates:

3rd set of chimes in Gunter (mid 1960's).

E-W streets of President's home closed (1980's-90's).

Clock on Gray Hall NW corner.